Saturday, October 3, 2015

Reading Diary A Week 7 Another Mahabharata (Online Movie)

This week I decided to watch the online movie version of the Mahabharata, You can find a link to this movie, here. When I was initially reading the online PDE of the Mahabharata, I was having a hard time keeping characters and lineages straight. I thought watching a film version of the story would be beneficial for me because I would be able to match names to faces. This helped me to keep everyone's stories and backgrounds organized.

I started watching the movie two nights ago, and was able to convince one of my friends to watch it with me! I think we both enjoyed it more than we anticipated we would. The plot really is so fascinating, and it is so interesting to see how all of the characters are woven together. I thought Draupadi's acting in the last scene, where her husband gambled her away, was the most impressive. You could see the desperation on her face, but also her sincere faithfulness as she called upon the gods for help. I think Draupadi was my favorite character in the film, I was surprised that they left out her whole story. What I mean is, they didn't show her previous life, and how she became destined to have five husbands.

It's hard to tell exactly who is the main protagonist in a story with so many characters, but I think Arjuna and Yudhishthira are probably two of the biggest stars. In my eyes, however. both of them have their faults. I think Arjuna was a coward to deny the challenge of Karna. Also, I think it was shameful that he let Drona go after Ekalavya, who had done nothing wrong, and ask for his thumb. Yudhisthira's fault is obvious- the gambling. I don't understand how his brothers and his wife were so calm and understanding as he gambled everything they owned away. I also don't understand why he "had" to accept the challenge.

Shakuni is Master of Dice Game,
Author: Ramanarayanadatta astri, Date: acquired in 1965, Source: Wikimedia


I look forward to watching the rest of the film! I've noticed that a few stories are skipped over, but I feel like overall the film does a good job of hitting all of the highlights.

No comments:

Post a Comment