Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Week 10 Reading Diary B: Buck's Mahabharata

In this reading assignment, I continued to read William Buck's retelling of the Mahabharata. Reading/watching all of these different versions of the original epic is proving to be very useful to me. I am able to compare and contrast various styles and interpretations. For example, the movie version didn't show as much detail as is in this book. I don't remember the war scene for the forest being shown in the movie. Probably, since the movie was constrained on time (and budget) only the most important stories were included. Side-stories that hardly contributed to the overall plot were generally left out of the film. In general, the war scenes in these epics are my least favorite. They are hard for me to follow and uninteresting to me.

There are also parts found in the PDE that are left out of this book. For example, I have read the story behind why Draupadi was given five husbands... how in a previous life she had prayed five times for a husband and was granted her request after her reincarnation. This part has been left out. Also, Amba's story is hardly told at all... I am hoping more details about Amba and Draupadi will surface later on in the book.

Small details are altered from interpretation to interpretation. For example, in this book Draupadi is jealous of Arjuna's second wife, but this was not the case in the other versions. It was interesting to read this version of how the Pandava brothers "win" Draupadi. Lots of details were included in the scenes leading up to Arjuna completing the challenge with the bow and arrow.

The Swayamvara of Panchala's princess, Draupadi,
Author: Ramanarayanadatta astri, Date: acquired in 1965, Source: Wikimedia



1 comment: