Sunday, October 18, 2015

Week 9 Reading Dairy B: Finishing Brook's Mahabharata

In this reading assignment, I finished Brook's film version of The Mahabharata. In all honesty this last portion of the film was probably my least favorite. The war scenes were kind of repetitive and exhausting to me. The effects used in the war scenes were also a little cheesy, but I think they were supposed to be more artistic than realistic.

I thought the film did a good job explaining Drona's internal conflict. He was secretly hoping that the Pandava brothers would win the war, but  he had already sworn his allegiance to their enemies. Unfortunately, in the midst of the war Draupadi plays less of an important role. She has few speaking lines in these scenes. Abhimanyu's wife is barely introduced in one scene during the war, but in the end the viewer learns that she is a pivotal character in the greater story of mankind.

I wonder if Arjuna would have still killed Karna if he had known he was his brother. I bet the entire war could have been avoided in Kunti had told the Pandava brothers that Karna was one of them. I also wonder what would have happened if Krishna wouldn’t have persuaded the brothers to play tricks and break the rules of war. It is as if he had a divine understanding of the greater good that would come from the Pandava brothers winning. I am kind of confused by the last scene where Yudhisthira is trying to find paradise. I might do some further research to try to figure out exactly what is happening during this part and what all of the people, animals, and settings he comes across symbolize. All in all I think the film did a really good job portraying the major themes, characters, conflicts, and lessons of the original epic. There were a lot of stories to cover, and the film did a good job including every detail that was important.

The Mahabharata, stage play by Peter Brook,
Author: Daniel Cande, Date: July 1985, Source: Wikimedia

No comments:

Post a Comment