Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Storytelling Week 10: Do I know you from somewhere?

//23 years ago//

Kunti was young, beautiful, and full of life. She was madly in love with someone she barely knew. Actually, love may not exactly be the right word. Kunti was obsessed with Surya. Kunti was a sophomore in high school, and Surya was a senior. To her, he was a god. The two finally met one night at a party; it was as magical as she had imagined it would be. Well, one thing led to another and nine months later Kunti gave birth to a beautiful baby boy, Karna.

Kunti knew the baby deserved a better life than she could provide for him at such a young age. She decided to put the baby up for adoption, and tried to move forward with her life.

//Present day//

“Mom, I can’t believe you drove all the way up for this, you really didn’t have to do that,” Arjuna insisted to his mom, Kunti. “Are you suggesting that I miss my sons’ most important college basketball game? Against their biggest rival? I wouldn’t miss it for the world sweetheart!” Kunti replied.

Arjuna and his brothers, also known as the Pandavas, had already become quite the campus celebrities … and they were only freshman! First of all, people were intrigued by them. Nobody at the school had ever seen quintuplets before! Also, the five brothers were as handsome as could be, and so kind to everyone they met. Finally, and this is the most amazing part, all five of them were incredibly talented, and were in the starting lineup for the school’s basketball team. That’s right, that means at every game it was the other school versus the Pandava brothers.


The boys were so excited to have their mom in town to watch their big game. She got to the courts early and waved at her boys. Her face beamed with pride as she watched them warmup. The opposing team made their way to the courts. They started to announce the starting lineups for each of the teams. The Pandavas walked out on the courts and started waving to the cheering crowd. When the opposing team was walking out on the court, the announcer made special notice of a walk-on who recently joined the team and made his way to the starting lineup-an impressive accomplishment! The walk-on player’s name was Karna. As soon as his name was announced, Kunti’s face turned white. The Pandava brothers all looked at each other puzzled. They were all having the same feeling. They whispered to one another, and then looked back at Karna. They couldn’t explain why, but they all felt like they had seen Karna before.  He looked so familiar to them. Arjuna was so perplexed, he couldn’t help himself. He walked right up to Karna right before the game was about to start and ask, “Do I know you from somewhere?”

Basketball through hoop,
Author: Airman 1st Class Kerelin Molina, Date: 2009, Source: Wikimedia


Author’s note:
An interesting detail I found in Buck’s version of the Mahabharata that I didn’t find in other versions, was that Arjuna had a feeling that he knew Karna. I thought an entire story could be developed from this one detail. I tried to ask myself, what would it feel like to meet and recognize your long lost brother? I tried to make the story more modern, so many details of the original story were altered. For example, in this version Kunti had Karna in high school, and the “competition” where the Pandava brothers first met Karna was a basketball game. 

Bibliography:
Mahabharta retold by William Buck and illustrated by Shirley Triest, 1973. Print.

2 comments:

  1. I remember reading that part of the story when Karna was reunited with Kunti. I thought it was a crazy plot twist. I wonder if Arjuna felt a brotherly connection towards Karna, and that's why he felt like he recognized Karna. I like that you wrote this story with a modern day twist. Can you imagine an entire college basketball team with quintuplets? That's insane! You did a nice job ending the story in a cliffhanger. Now I'm imagining all sorts of events happening. Who will win the game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you really focused on one small detail in the story. Out of that detail you developed a really interesting story. I really enjoyed reading it. I liked the modern twist you added having the boys compete in a basketball game. I love taking stories and adding them to a modern setting. Overall, great job! I loved reading your story!

    ReplyDelete