Sunday, October 18, 2015

Week 9 Reading Diary A: Finishing Brook's Mahabharata

For this week's reading assignment I have chosen to finish Brook's film version of The Mahabharta since I have already started it for the last reading assignment. A few parts stick out as favorites in this portion of the film. First, I thought it was a really emotional scene when Karna found out that Kunti was his mother, and came to the realization that he was about to go into battle against his brothers. You can tell that he was completely shocked. However, it was too little too late and Karna refused to change his mind about going into battle. Secondly, I liked the scene where some type of vision or ghost of Amba approached Bhishma after she had died and been reincarnated as a male warrior. I made sure to pay special attention to scenes with Amba since she is one of the characters for my storybook project. Amba's reincarnation as a male should help her complete her life's work: to kill Bhishma. However, in my version of her story I don't want Amba to be reincarnated as a male. I want to portray an Amba who was able to reach her goals fully as a woman. I also liked the part where Arjuna was about to go into battle, but had to stop because he was so disgusted by the thought of killing people he was related to. I think that scene forced the audience to put themselves in Arjuna's shoes and wonder what it would feel like to wage war on kin.

It is interesting to me that the author of this poem, Vyasa, is as much of a narrator of the story as he is a part of it. There are portions of the movie where he is acknowledged by the characters he is creating. This confusing idea that someone can be above and within a time frame at the same time is too abstract for a person to fully wrap their head around. Although Vyasa is writing the story, he is unable (or unwilling) to tell what will end up happening.

Vyasa,
Author: Ramanarayanadatta astri, Date: Not listed, Source: Wikimedia

No comments:

Post a Comment