Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Week 8, Reading Plan

One of the things I love most about this class is the many options available to students. Specifically, there are many different reading options. This allows students to explore topics or authors that are of particular interest to them. I think this teaching style recognizes that a course experience doesn't have to be "one size fits all."

So far I have had the opportunity to experience Indian epics through prose, online editions of stories, and film. Since I really enjoyed the film-version of the reading assignments, I will finish Brook's movie online which will account for one week of the reading assignments.

I will also read William Buck's version of the Mahabharata. I chose this version because I find it difficult to read stories online and prefer to have a hard copy of a book in my hands. I had already purchased this book before the course had begun because I saw it was one of the recommended readings online. Since I already own the book, I will go ahead and use it for four weeks worth of reading assignments.

The movie and the book will take up five weeks worth of reading assignments. That means there will still be a one week period I will need to fill. I plan to choose this reading later on after finishing the book and the movie to see if there is a specific character or topic I wish to explore further.

I look forward to getting started!

Girl reading a notebook,
Photographer: Karolina Grabowska, Date: October, 2014, Source: Pexels

1 comment:

  1. I just saw this post pop up, Nicole, and I wanted to say that I am so glad you want to read Buck's Mahabharata! There are reading guides for that because it was one of the books I used to always use in teaching this class, and I like it a lot! I hope you will enjoy it too. Super! :-)

    ReplyDelete