Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Week 1 Curation Blog

I honestly have never used bookmarks on my computer until reading about them for this assignment. After creating just two folders, I completely understand how bookmarks are a powerful organizing tool. Usually when I am flipping between sites for a research project I open a bunch of tabs and then copy and paste all of the website addresses to a word doc so I can re-open the tabs the next time I work on the project. However, bookmarking and keeping organized folders would make research much easier!

As far as the tools for sharing go, I am active on Twitter, but mostly for social reasons. I love to tweet funny things that happen to me throughout the week, and also use it to keep up with my friends and family in their day-to-day lives. However, I understand that Twitter can also be used in an educational way for sharing news, articles, and ideas with others. I'd be interested to see how I could use Twitter for this class specifically. I'm familiar with Pinterest, but have not yet created an account. I laughed when Dr. Gibbs wrote she initially thought Pinterest was for shopping and cooking because those were my exact thoughts as well! However, my best friend who is a history major often uses Pinterest to find  images and quotes for her class assignments. I have not heard of Known at all, and am excited to explore that platform for sharing ideas.

Another way to share images, words, and ideas online is Instagram. I use Instagram to keep friends and family updated on my life, but I also follow some very informational Instagram accounts such as TIME Magazine. Below is a screenshot of my personal Instagram account profile.

(Image Information: personal photo of Instagram account;
photo from August 2012.)

I look forward to exploring concepts of curation in this class which will no doubt expand my ability to be creative, and effectively share my creativity with others.

1 comment:

  1. I also thought the bookmark tool was really useful! I used to be that person that kept tabs open all the time, and it slowed down my computed significantly. So then I started using the bookmark tool, and I organized my bookmarks into a separate folder. I have one folder for this class called EOI (Epics of India) which organizes all of the weekly assignments. It made me laugh when I read your thoughts on Pinterest! I used to think it was just for wedding plannings because so many girls have a wedding board. I use Pinterest to look up street art and quotes. It's a powerful tool!

    ReplyDelete