Monday, August 24, 2015

Nicole Antonio- Indian Epics Overview

In all honesty, I first found this class after searching through upper division non-western civilization courses which are required as OU "gen-eds". However, after reading more in the course description, I realized this class would be very interesting for me.

I have little exposure to epic literature. In high school we read portions of the Iliad, but that's about it. While I have a broad understanding of epic literature, I am looking forward to learning about this kind of writing in Indian culture specifically. As I mentioned in my introduction so far, my coursework has been mainly focused on engineering and science. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to study topics such as mythology, religion, or Indian history... although I have wanted to! I am a religious person, and do study religion outside of school. I enjoy meditating and reading sacred texts such as the Bible. I also enjoy learning about religions that are different from my own- in fact I believe this is a great way to grow your faith.

My family is friends with many Indian families, and my best friend since the first grade and current roommate is Indian. Spending time with her and her family has exposed me to some aspects of Indian culture such as food, music, and traditions. In fact, last weekend we went to Dallas so I could be fitted for my first sari (traditional Indian dress) which I will be wearing as a bridesmaid in her wedding!

I am looking forward to diving deeper into the study of Indian history and culture, and appreciate the many resources made available through this course! Specifically, I've enjoyed spending time looking through the link provided that shows images and PDE epics. This one in particular caught my eye because of the beautiful colors, and mystical woman in blue. I can only imagine the fascinating story that inspired this picture.

Image: The Golden Deer
Sita, Rama, and the Golden Deer from Nina Paley's Sita Sings the Blues

No comments:

Post a Comment