Monday, August 24, 2015

Nicole Antonio- Week 1 Storybook Favorites

The first story book that caught my attention was titled Elf Tales. In the introduction the author sets up the narrator as an old elf telling stories from his youth with his three best friends. The author is clever in how they name the elves, giving each of them the same name as a famous/commercially familiar elf. The story is silly and light-hearted, but still conveys important themes. The pictures alone are enough to keep the reader intrigued, check out the silly elf picture below!

Image Information: Elf Dance Party  Web Source: Recently in Music


Next, I noticed a project titled Gossip Girl. The flowery background and pink color scheme on the website are not usually associated with epic literature and folklore, however, the author puts their own modern spin on some Hawaiin legends to tell a unique story. By referencing a popular modern TV show, the author turns old stories into something familiar. The idea of linking present-day interests to historic stories is something I would be very interested in doing for my project.


The last story I picked was titled An Owl’s Tale. This storybook featured a simple but striking format that I very much appreciated. The author turns an owls call of, “who-who” into an idea for their story. The owl calls out to see who would want to hear a story, and the remainder of the plot flows from there. All of the owl’s stories are named after specific characters. I think it is a neat idea to keep some consistency in the naming for each of the chapters or stories. That is something I may want to implement in my project.

When skimming through past storybook projects it is easy to see how a student’s creativity can shine- not only in the words written, but also in the selection of pictures and formatting. This assignment definitely has me thinking about what my storybook might look like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment