Monday, September 28, 2015

Reading Diary A Week 6- Keeping up with the Pandavas

Draupadi has to be one of the most interesting characters I have ever read about. Unfortunately, I got behind on my reading schedule last week and just now read about her this week. I think she could have been a cool character for my storybook project... but I went ahead and picked my three main characters last week. I might go back and add her in.

Five husbands, good for her! It's interesting to me that the culture has seemed to make an exception for her, and only her. Usually women who are with multiple men are scorned... I mean just look at how Rama treated Sita after she was kidnapped against her will by another man! However, Draupadi was apparently destined to be with all of the Pandava brothers, so she can get away with it.

Unfortunately the brothers lost everything they had. I have a feeling that if it was Draupadi placing the bets then things would not have gotten so out of hand, and they would not have faced exile out in the forest. She is definitely miserable in her exile, and wants revenge. However Yudhishthira is remaining relatively calm through the whole exile. He is portrayed as the "wise" or "cool-headed" one throughout this portion of the reading. This confused met because he obviously wasn't THAT wise when he was gambling away everything he owned. Honestly, I don't know how the whole family isn't incredibly angry with Yudhishthira. In the riddle story I guess he somewhat redeems himself. By using his "wisdom" he is able to avoid the temptation of the water and answer complicated questions about virtue. This revives his people, who had suffered death through their own impatience and misunderstanding.

2716_PandavaDraupadi.jpg
Photographer: Flickr user vaticanus, Date: Nov. 2007, Source: Flickr


No comments:

Post a Comment