Monday, November 2, 2015

Week 11 Reading Diary A: Same Epic in a New Way

This week, I am continuing to read William Buck’s retellingof the Mahabharata. One detail in this version of the Mahabharata that was left out of other versions I’ve read/watched was Draupadi’s behavior in the dice game. In this version, she literally punched Duhsasana who attempted to un-robe her. I loved it.

Another story included in this version that I was unfamiliar with was the story of Nala and Damayanti. This was a fascinating love story filled with unexpected twists and turns. One common thread between the story of Nala and Yudhishthira is there inability to turn down a gambling challenge. This frustrates me when I’m reading. Their inability to refuse a challenge (aka their pride/ego/etc) somehow seems to justify their stupid actions. Basically, what I’m saying is, I don’t feel sorry for Nala or Yudhishthira when they lose all of their possessions in a gambling match. In fact, it makes me pretty angry at their character. If I was their wife or family member, I would find it very difficult to forgive them.

One thing that confuses me about the references to dice games in this story is, first of all, how Yudhishthira managed to lose every single throw and second of all how anyone can learn the “science” of dice. I find myself craving more details about the dice used… were they weighted? Did they have magnets in them? Was it an illusion? I think the answer to this question could make for an interesting retelling of the dice match in a storytelling assignment.

The ordeal of Queen Draupadi,
Author: Mackenzie, Donald Alexander, 1873-1936; Goble, Warwick, Date: 1913, Source: Wikimedia

No comments:

Post a Comment